Wednesday 18 August 2010

Where the 3D?

What it is with 3D? Why is it suddenly so popular again? My mind struggles to digest why in the last couple of years everyone making a film of putting a poor quality 3D stamp on it?

My first experience of 3D that i can remember was the re-release of 'A Nightmare Before Christmas' in 3D. I remember me and my freinds going to Manchester to see it and making a big deal about the fact it's in 3D. I also remember having a super cold Mcflurry that took a full hour to consume due to the baltic conditions the ice cream machine made for me. The film itself is one of my faviourite musical films (and i dont like many musicals!) but the 3D was terrible as it had ONE three second clip that was 3D which left me thinking 'what the big deal with 3D'?

Since Avatar brought some new techonlogy to the fourth front of filmmaking the 3D boom has offically hit us as there seems to be a 3D film out every couple of weeks. The problem is most of the films add the 3D after the film not make the film 3D from scratch (like Avatar). This leaves with the same effect as the films years before...no 3frickingD!!!. Plus your getting charged a extra few pounds, dollars ect to experience this unsatisfactory event while wearing glasses that dont fit and cause great pain to the bridge of your nose and ears.

Another problem is that in the past the films that had 3D in them where action flicks that would be enhacned by this effect or not, but least that where appropriate films to try it in. Now it seems film companies are thinking any film is worthy of 3D. Look at the next few films to have it: Step Up 3D, Jackass 3D, Piranha 3D, Saw 3D = WHAT THE FUCK WHERE YOU THINKING?? Seriously a dance film and a bunch of guys doing stupid stuff warrants this? I get the feeling that without the '3D' in the title these films wouldnt even see the light of day so why are they using such a cheap, cheap ploy to get us to see these things? I know the answer to that is money, but really that's a cop out reason to bring a film and most of all it's daft.

With a extended list of films to come out in the next couple of years 3D inst going away, but unfortunatly most of these films will use a heavily watered down version of the product.

I can say i have been impressed by 3D on a few occasions. Firstly when i saw U23D which for the people who dont know was a U2 concert filmed in yes 3D! It made me believe for a few moments that i was in the concert and for one moment made me feel silly. A drink had been throw by the fan and silly bill here thought the drink was heading for me luckily a embarrassed moment later eased my first thoughts! The second time recently when i went to 'A Christmas Carol' the snow effects where :O and it felt very very real at the time.

I think legendary film critics Siskel and Ebert said it best when they said that 3D is a 'gimmack' and that's exactly what most of these films are!


If i say 3D two more times, that 28 3D's in this 3D post. Kirk out and about!

No comments:

Post a Comment